We just came back from a weekend of skiing in Gatlinburg, TN and my 8 year old has been coughing non stop. Physically she feels fine but if not managed, her cough and congestion can lead to wheezing and an expensive trip to the doctors.
It was time for me to make my natural cough and congestion remedy. I asked my husband to pick up a few things from the store.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 small piece of Ginger
2 cloves of garlic (Garlic can be potent make sure it’s not too strong for your child.)
- 1 lemon or lime (lime has more cleansing power but either is fine.)
- 1/4 cup of honey (local honey if possible).
- 1 small jar or container that holds a tight seal.
***Make sure you are using a clean and sterile surface and all items are washed.***
1. Peel and thinly slice ginger and garlic with vegetable peeler.
2. Thinly slice lemon or lime.
3. Layer ginger, garlic, and lime/lemon inside jar. (The citrus in the lime/lemon helps to break down the garlic and ginger.)
4. Cover with honey, about a tablespoon. Continue to layer until your jar is at least halfway filled or you’re out of ingredients.
5. Seal tightly with lid and refrigerate for 24 hours.
After sitting in the fridge you will notice a thin liquid pooling in the container. That’s what you serve. *Only the liquid.
I usually give her one spoonful a day, sometimes twice a day depending on the severity of her cough.
This is a great serum for keeping your kids healthy all year long. I would give it to my children all winter long.
This will last in the refrigerator for 1 week. After that you need to make another batch.